University of Phoenix Material
BSHS/305 Version 4
Indicate your answer to each of the following questions by highlighting your choices. Each correct answer is worth .5 points.
1. Which one of the following skills best helps the human services professional understand the client’s environment?
b. Report writing
c. Problem solving
2. Ethical codes adopted by a profession are usually based on the premise that
a. the solution to every problem can be found in the ethical code
b. professions can police themselves.
c. professionals cannot be trusted to make their own decisions
d. ethical codes will eliminate mistakes in service delivery
3. The concept of less eligibility was introduced in 1834 to
a. punish criminals
b. limit the expansion of services to the poor
c. promote institutional reform in prisons, almshouses, and asylums
d. emphasize the benefits of social engineering
4. Which of the following would be consistent with the medical model approach to delivering human services?
a. Providing parenting classes for pregnant teens
b. Prescribing antidepressant medications
c. Providing subsidized housing
d. Running alcoholics anonymous group meetings
5. Managed care has influenced human services in all of the following ways EXCEPT
a. requiring more case management
b. requiring external review for all cases and procedures
c. recommending approval of the lowest level of care needed
d. raising the cost of services
6. Which one of the following best characterizes the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)?
a. Patterned after the Manpower Development Act
b. Patterned after affirmative action legislation
c. Intended to provide people with disabilities access to goods and services
d. Intended to address areas such as employment, goods and services, and participation in the political process
7. Clients seeking human services can benefit from technology
a. without worrying about confidentiality issues
b. without knowing much about computers themselves
c. without physically meeting with a professional
d. without worrying about the quality of services
8. According to the text, factors that influence how a client defines and resolves a problem include all of the following EXCEPT
a. the qualifications of the helper
b. the client’s developmental needs
c. the client’s cultural values
d. how the client perceives the situation
9. Supporting activities such as films, speakers, school programs, and pamphlets educate the population, which is a goal of the
a. human service model
b. public health model
c. medical model
d. all three models
10. The whole person refers to one of the following:
a. the person and his or her environment
b. the person and all the medical personnel involved
c. the person and relationships with all the family
d. the person and the problems he or she faces
11. Empathy is best described as
a. crying when someone else is hurt
b. feeling sorry for others
c. acceptance of others and seeing their situation from their perspective
d. being able to read another person’s mind
12. Self-determination is a critical value because
a. the worker has the expertise to make excellent choices
b. the client needs to assume responsibility
c. the worker needs to take more responsibility
d. the client is resistant to help
13. Which of the following is the process that assists helpers with understanding their own attitudes and feelings?
b. Clinical judgment
d. Ethical integrity
14. Important considerations when making a referral include all of the following EXCEPT
a. having the personal phone number and e-mail address of the person to whom you are referring the client
b. ensuring that the referral agency is able and willing to provide the service the client needs
c. knowing the eligibility criteria for the referral agency
d. determining that the referral agency is accessible geographically
15. The cornerstone of helping is
a. communication skills
c. the helping relationship
d. the clients
16. Which of the following is NOT true of crisis intervention?
a. It is a time-limited service.
b. It usually involves only one helper to provide services.
c. It focuses on the client’s current life situation.
d. The helper must quickly establish trust.
17. The client empowerment model is effective when
a. clients are part of the majority culture
b. clients can easily articulate their cause
c. clients have past experience organizing
d. clients are taught how to promote change
18. A code of ethics includes all EXCEPT
a. the goals of the profession
b. guidance for professional behavior
c. contributions to a professional identity
d. instructions for all ethical dilemmas
19. The worker’s assurance that information the client divulges will remain between the two of them reflects a commitment to
20. What term refers to the client’s right to know about helper qualifications, treatment procedures, costs of services, confidentiality, and access to records?
a. Information strategies
b. Knowledge sharing
c. Informed consent
d. Ethical disclosure
Points for correct answers: